Veterans Benefits


If you're a veteran who is disabled or over 65 you may be eligible for a Veterans Pension or Pension with Aid and Attendance or Housebound benefits, even if your disability is unrelated to military service. Veterans' widows may also be eligible. These benefits can help you pay for the enormous costs of nursing home care, assisted living care or at-home care. Even if you're not disabled, if you're over 65 you may still be eligible for benefits, depending on your income levels and outlays for medical expenses. For many veterans and their spouses who are just getting by on social security and withdrawing as little as possible from their retirement money, the significant monthly stipend from the VA can make a major difference in their quality of life.

We would be pleased to discuss with you in detail the rules, regulations, and requirements for becoming eligible for VA benefits. Contact us today for a consultation or call 512-476-0888 to schedule an appointment.  


Monetary benefit programs are available through the Veteran's Benefits Administration branch of the VA. The primary monetary benefit for service-connected disabilities is the VA “compensation” program. The primary monetary benefit for non-service-connected disabilities is the VA “Improved/Special Monthly Pension” program.


Like the VA compensation program, the pension program is based upon disability. However, unlike the VA compensation program, the pension program is also based on income and need. The VA "improved pension" provides a "Special Monthly Pension" ("SMP") to veterans or their widow(er)s. There are three (3) types of SMP: (1) the basic pension, (2) "Housebound" benefits and (3) "Aid and Attendance" benefits. Aid and Attendance and Housebound benefits are not available to those who are not eligible for the pension. Although Aid and Attendance and Housebound benefits are available in addition to the basic pension, a veteran cannot receive both Aid and Attendance and Housebound benefits concurrently.

Basic Pension 

The VA classifies any veteran at the age of 65 to be permanently and totally disabled regardless of your physical state. The classification of "Disabled" entitles the veteran or surviving spouse for a Basic Pension if he/she meets the net worth and income criteria. No Physician's Statement is required for filing for Basic Pension.

Aid and Attendance Pension 

Aid and Attendance Pension allows for Veterans and surviving spouses who require the regular attendance by another person to assist in eating, bathing, dressing, undressing, medication dosing, or taking care of the needs of nature to receive additional monetary benefits. It also includes individuals who are blind or a patient in a nursing home because of mental or physical incapacity. Aid and Attendance can help pay for care in the home, Nursing Home or Assisted Living facility. A Veteran is eligible for up to $1,644 per month, while a surviving spouse is eligible for up to $1,056 per month.  A couple may be eligible for up to $1,949 per month.

Housebound Pension 

For those who wish to remain in either their own home or the home of a family member. The criteria for Housebound require that the claimant needs regular assistance, but is not as limited as those who would qualify for Aid and Attendance. Care can be provided by family members or outside Caregiver's agencies. Families need to be reimbursed for the care and services they are providing just as you would an outside agency.


You may qualify for the VA’s pension benefits if you met the following criteria:

  • Be a veteran aged 65 or older. Be a veteran's spouse or widow/widower (no age limit).
  • Served at least 90 days of active military service one day of which was during a qualified period of war:
    • Dec 7, 1941 - Dec 31, 1946
    • Jun 27, 1950 - Jan 31, 1953
    • Feb 28, 1961 - May 7, 1975
    • Aug 2, 1990 - present
  • You were discharged from the service under conditions other than dishonorable.
  • Be financially eligible

Click here for helpful web resources for Veteran.

The Greening Law Firm, P.C. serves clients in Austin, Georgetown, Bee Cave, Lakeway, Lake Travis, Round Rock, Cedar Park, Pflugerville, Temple, Hutto, Leander, Manor, Dripping Springs, Blanco, Wimberley, San Marcos, Bastrop, Elgin, Westlake and Central Texas.